Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Daily Heart Print - February 1

Daily Heart Print - February 1
What an exciting day in our classroom! The students walked in this morning and shining on the smartboard was a big red heart, stating, "heart prints...doing kind things that stay with someone forever."
It was an immediate outburst of questions, 
"Is this our big project?" 
"What's a heart print?"
"I love the picture, what does it mean?"
Once we all settled down on the rug, I read the book, Heartprints by P.K.Hallinan to jump start our discussion. After reading the book and our favorite line, "Yes, heartprints can heal us with the power of love. They lift up our spirits like the wings of a dove." Lovely language as the children put it! I asked the children, what they thought a heart print was? We made a chart of our ideas. A few ideas listed were a good deed, something nice, helping others, making others happy, sharing, peace, and love! I was astounded with their responses. We finished our discussion with a great amount of joy and excitement and my favorite question, "Is this project only for February, Miss Anderson? I want to do it all year!" My heart melted. 

Later in the day, the students and I visited our 4th grade LEAP Buddies. We discussed the power of words and thank you notes. Our Heart Print of the day was to write thank you notes to teachers and workers at Lincoln School. The students were amazing during this project and of course will touch the hearts of the Lincoln Community.  Tomorrow is a brand new day with a new "Heart Print!" 
Enjoy and stay tuned!
Stay tuned for a response from a "Heart Print" we completed today for someone dear to my heart. The children's words will bring a smile to this special person!
                                                           Miss Anderson's 2nd grade class

 Our Inspiration - A big thank you to the kindergarten teacher who introduced  the book to us!
 Class discussion about the power of words
 Thank you note to Lincoln's principal

3 comments:

  1. Dear Second Graders,
    Wow!! I love your website!! I was so touched by your thank you note! I love being principal of Lincoln School and it was so nice to see your note!!
    I am so proud of our second graders and all your work to spread joy at our school through heart prints! Hurray, Ms. Anderson for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2nd Graders- you are AWESOME! You are inspiring me to think of all the nice things that I can do for others at our school and for people I don't even know. Keep it up!

    - Ms. Nelson

    ReplyDelete