Monday, February 6, 2012

Daily Heart Prints - Days 4, 5, & 6

 Daily Heart Print we hang in our hallway

 Torn Self Portrait Activity

It's Monday and the children are back to school. This weekend, I gave the children an assignment in relation to our "Heart Prints" project. Each child was to spread "Heart Prints" to others over the weekend and report back on Monday their accomplishments. 
This morning we gathered on the rug and shared all of our positive words and acts towards others. 
Here a few things the children did over the week with little guidance from me!
Made breakfast for Dad
cheered up my sister
helped fix my sister's broken toy 
said "Thank you!" simple but it stays with you forever
made my sister's bed
made all the beds (We all were amazed by this one!)
said "great job!" to my fellow hockey teammate
apologized to my friend
got medicine for my sick sister

I asked the children how the person or persons who received the "Heart Print" responded. Immediately all the children raised their hand and either screamed or yelled, 
"They gave me a big smile!" 
"They hugged me!"
"I got a thank you and I felt great!" 

Day 6 - Teach Someone Something New!
Today the children were challenged to teach someone something new. This tied in very nicely to our monthly self portrait activity. The children create a self portrait of him/herself each month using different methods of art. This month, the second grade team has the children use torn paper to create their self portrait. As we all know, trying something new and quite difficult can be extremely frustrating. The children rose the ocassion and created beautiful pieces of art and through our "Heart Prints" helped one another finish the project. 
One particular student, helped his entire group tear out their face structure and eyes! His group was very thankful to him!
Here are a few other things we taught to our classmates, Lincoln friends, and strangers:

Zip up a coat
tie a shoe
play football
play a game

These are small but meaningful acts of kindness that will stay with someone forever. If we can keep spreading this message over the next month, I think my class will feel they have truly accomplished something tremendous!
                                                                                 Thank you for reading,
                                                         Miss Anderson's 2nd grade class

1 comment:

  1. I love the Daily Heart Prints and doing them each day. Great job! You make people feel like $1,000,000!

    From Sarah A.

    ReplyDelete